Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Spring looks to be arriving...What you're seeing here, folks, is the last remaining piece of snow on our property. Of course the weatherman this morning said there was a chance of snow this weekend. We are going to pretend we didn't hear that.
Loading is going smoothly. The first chamber is all done. We don't have too many pots this firing so we are trying out a different stacking arrangement in the first chamber, with only one real stack of shelves. This allows us twice as much space to place large pots on the floor of the kiln right in front of the firebox. Hopefully building up some good embers and ash on them.
We also rebuilt the bagwall of the second chamber:
It's a fairly tall bagwall and we've been having trouble with it moving toward the firebox each firing. So we are bracing it against the arch this time. Hopefully this will work out well. We did lower the bagwall a few rows to accommodate for the added resistance of the "support" bricks. There is also a row on top of the support bricks to hold it all together as you can see here:
We're just firing the first two chambers this time. Almost done loading... we'll candle tonight and finish up late Friday afternoon/evening.