Well, work on the gallery seems to be winding down. I'm hoping to be done with the mudding by the end of the week. I've hung drywall elsewhere in the house, but this is the first time getting drywall ready to paint. It's kind of fun. It reminds me of a class in high school that I took where we got to do body work on our cars. Sanding and filling and... repeat. I imagine the novelty will wear out pretty quick though as we get the rest of the house ready later this year. Here are a couple of pictures of the gallery:
This room was a spare bedroom in our house. It seemed like the most obvious choice for our gallery as we can't afford to build a new structure for a gallery. Hopefully we won't lose to much privacy by having our gallery attached to our house. We are certainly planning on drawing some definitive lines between public gallery space and private living space.
The door was just added last week. We're pretty pleased with the door. We figured we would only be able to afford a cheap steel door, but we found this door with side lights at Habitat for Humanity for only $125. It make the entrance so much more welcoming, and adds quite a bit of natural light to the gallery.
After this week I'm hoping to go back to making pots full time until our firing in mid-April. After that we need to put in a porch with steps to the gallery door, and build shelves for the display. Opening the gallery up early May. One thing at a time though.