There never seems to be enough time in the day. I was thinking we would have time to fill at least the first two chambers, if not the third chamber for this first firing. Unfortunately I haven't had many full days of throwing so far. There seems to be so many other things that still need to be done. Today we removed our gate and posts from our driveway to make room for the arrival of the new (to us) house. The house will be here soon, we'll devote another post to that one soon.
I also spent a good hour unloading this from our truck:
I had wanted a hammer mill since we moved here. This probably isn't the best time to be getting one as we enter crunch time to fill the kiln. However the price was right, and we could not really pass it up. This hammer mill has had a full life of crushing corn, it's was sold with the caption "perfect for taking to your next antique tractor show". We're planning on using it to break up rocks, and clays for our glazes. We're hoping we can crush rock down to sand size in this and then put it in the ball mill to reduce the rock to dust for our glazes. We have a couple of rocks right now that interest us. There is what people call a red granite that we've crushed up by hand and fired. It fires into creamy dark glass. I don't think it will take too much work to get a nice glaze out of it. The construction/excavation company in town sells it by the truck load so there's definitely a steady supply if we like it. Also on our land there is quite a bit of sandstone. Which is apparently sedimentary silica. according to my research sometimes sandstone is pure silica, sometimes it contains some feldspar as well. We crushed it by hand, but it didn't melt in our test firing. Must not be too much feldspar. Now that we have the hammer mill we can test to our hearts content this winter. First we have to make some pots. Right after I finish cutting out the masonite bats...